Babyproofing can be overwhelming. If you haven’t already, you’ll soon find out that your child gets into everything. Areas of your home that you thought were safe suddenly seem dangerous to an unsteady crawler or toddler. We’re here to help make the babyproofing journey as easy as possible.
If you’re just getting started, be sure to read Tips for Getting Started. This will give you an overview of what to expect as far as time, money and process. It also provides helpful tips to make babyproofing a bit less overwhelming.
As you’ll see on our tips page, we recommend baby proofing by item rather than by room. This makes the process shorter and easier. When installing items, it’s also helpful to install by item type (for example, install all cabinet locks at one time). This greatly speeds up the installation process as you won’t need to get out tools and re-read the instructions several times.
What Should I Babyproof First?
You can really babyproof in any order that you see fit. Below, we’ve created a suggested order based on the following:
- Very high risk / dangerous areas of the home
- Items that pose the highest risk for crawling babies
- Items that pose the highest risk for walking babies
- Items that pose the highest risk for older children
Ideally, you would have your home babyproofed before your child can crawl. But we all live in the real world, where time and money are scare, so we realize that you might need to tackle babyproofing in stages.
If you’re ready to dive in, here is our suggested babyproofing order. Click on each item below to view an in-depth guide and product recommendations to keep your child safe. In each guide, you’ll find the following:
- Goals: why do you need to babyproof this area of your home?
- Tips & What to Look For: things to keep in mind as you decide on the best solution for your home.
- Recommended Products: the best tried & tested products.
- DIY Options: if relevant, possible DIY options for those who don’t want to purchase a store-made solution.
Suggested Babyproofing Order
- Baby’s Room & Crib
- Medicines & Chemicals
- Pools & Hot Tubs
- Guns & Firearms
- Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Banisters, Lofts & Balconies
- Stoves & Ovens
- Refrigerators & Freezers
- Bathtubs & Toilets
- Washing Machines & Dryers